Special Session “Big Themes”:
At its 28th General Assembly 2023 in Berlin, IUGG foresees to launch a new session format, called “Big Themes”.
In a condensed and interesting format, the IUGG bureau plans several themes to be covered with a few stimulus introductions, a moderated panel discussion and an extended exchange within the plenary. Each session is planned for 90 minutes.
We have already identified a handful of “Big Themes (BT)”:
- Open Science, Open Data, Open Software
- ECS Early Career Scientists – Needs, Wishes and Demands
(with reference to GGS-TT on Early Career and Student Communities)
- Contributions to Disaster Risk Reduction (including Sendai)
- Contributions to International Frameworks (e.g. IPCC, Paris Agreement, SDGs)
(with reference to GGS-TT on Advocate for the ESS in Global and Domestic Policies)
- EDI/DEI = Diversity, Equality, Inclusion
(with reference to GGS-TT on Inclusion and Representation in Geoscience)
- IYBSSD | International Year of Basic Sciences for Sustainable Development
- Education and Capacity Development (North-South Dialogue)
We are open for more themes of general interest and importance.
Please get in touch with us!
Alexander Rudloff, IUGG’s Secretary General and SPC member
 GGS-TT = Global Geoscience Societies Task Team
 SPC = Scientific Program Committee